Aphea.Bio: Plant Pathologist - Physiologist
Aphea.Bio is a young start-up company that focuses on the exploitation of natural, beneficial interactions that occur between microorganisms and plants. Aphea.Bio discovers and develops new biology-based agricultural products for crop protection and crop improvement, hence shaping a more sustainable agriculture.
We are seeking highly motivated and innovative scientists to help us carry out the research and development of novel and superior agricultural biological products. Successful candidates will become part of a committed, creative and highly dynamic team with opportunities to take responsibility and stimulate personal development.
Aphea.Bio is based in Ghent, Belgium, embedded in the largest European Agro-Biotech valley.
To strengthen its R&D team Aphea.Bio is looking for a plant pathologist that will be responsible for all plant pathology programs in support of newly discovered microorganism-based candidates.
- Develop, validate and implement in vitro and in planta bio-assays (microbial and natural extracts) for the main wheat fungal diseases
- Maintain the collection of wheat fungal diseases
- Perform laboratory phenotyping, diagnosis of wheat fungal diseases
- Manage external research collaborations in an efficient manner to meet project deadlines
- Work closely with Field Trial Management to translate growth chamber data into meaningful field trial plans
- Interpret data sets and support promotion of novel products through the development pipeline
- Maintain detailed records of procedures and results
- Support and coach the technical team
- Be an active member of the R&D leadership team
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of plant pathology and plant physiology
- Deep knowledge of wheat fungal pathogens and control
- Ability to design, organize and perform wheat fungal disease bio-assays
- Strong ability to coordinate collaborations with external parties
- Ability to perform and interpret studies involving plant pathology in laboratory and field conditions
- Ability to think strategically and creatively with regard to development of microbial products
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific journal articles, technical procedures, and government regulations
- Strong capability to communicate and present trial data to R&D leadership team
- Experience in coaching and supervising technical staff
- Knowledge of statistics and application to research data
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Plant Pathology (or equal through relevant experience) or related degree
- At least five years of work experience in agricultural industry responsible for plant disease control research
- Computer skills: proficiency in Word, Power Point and Excel applications. Experience with data management and statistics software is a plus
- Language skills: fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Interpersonal skills: team player, creative, communicative, optimist, committed, flexible, entrepreneurial, organized, problem-solver
How to apply?
Motivated applicants should send their CV including a cover letter to steven.vandenabeele*Replace*With*At*Sign*aphea.bio and isabel.vercauteren*Replace*With*At*Sign*aphea.bio before April 15, 2017.