Bioinformatician / Data Scientist
The mission of ELIXIR is to facilitate all aspects of data science for life-science researchers. This encompasses the whole spectrum from access to raw data, description of data using metadata standards, and analysis platforms to process and integrate the data in a reproducible way. We provide tools and platforms to researchers to facilitate this. In this position you will be involved in several aspects such as:
- appropriate description of data based on metadata standards and implementing validation mechanisms
- integration of these standards into existing frameworks such as FAIRDOMHub (https://fairdomhub.org)
- integration of data with cloud applications for analysis such as Galaxy (https://www.usegalaxy.be and https://usegalaxy.eu) and container technology (http://biocontainers.pro)
All this will be in collaboration with international partners involved in ELIXIR, such as the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) and aligned with initiatives in life-sciences in the context of FAIR data and the European Open Science Cloud. In short, if you’re interested in contributing to building the data research infrastructure for the future for life-sciences, this position should be of interest to you.
- Bachelor or Master in computer science, bioinformatics, (bio)engineering, biotechnology or equivalent
- Proficiency in at least one programming language is required (e.g. Python, R, …)
- Willing and able to learn and implement new technologies
- Knowledge or background in life-sciences is considered an advantage
- Fluent in English, with good communication skills
- You have a solution-oriented and positive attitude
- Strong analytical skills to help others unlock the power of their data
- You have a community spirit
- Able to work both independently as well as in a team
- You will be expected to work collaboratively with colleagues within the institute as well as across Europe.
Desirable but not required
- Experience with (some of) the mentioned platforms or technologies is an asset
- Experience in working with life-science data is an advantage
- Duration: 2 years, extension possible
- International environment in an academic context
- Engaging with the large life-sciences network across Europe of ELIXIR
- A challenging and stimulating work environment with opportunities for personal input, at the edge of developments in this area in Europe
About the institute and research infrastructure
The ELIXIR consortium (https://www.elixir-europe.org) is a European research infrastructure which unites life-science research groups. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources from the different member states.
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB, https://www.psb.ugent.be) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics, phenotyping and bio-computing to unravel the biology of plants and to further explore the potential of plants to build a sustainable world.
The bioinformatics research groups at PSB develop novel software and web tools for the integration of large-scale data sets in the area of genomics, transcriptomics and phenomics for which an extensive computational infrastructure is available on site. PSB coordinates the Belgian ELIXIR Node, more information on https://www.elixir-belgium.org.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.