VIB is an excellence-based research institute dedicated to high-impact life sciences research and world-class technology transfer. VIB Scientists pursue basic molecular life-science research with a strong focus on translating scientific breakthroughs into novel technologies, new diagnostics, innovative medicines and improved crops and nutritional products, through close cooperation with industry.
VIB’s Innovation & Business team (VIB²) consists of IP, business development and new ventures managers, supported by a highly skilled administrative and para-legal team. The VIB² team is highly complementary and works closely together. In order to further strengthen and expand its activities, VIB is recruiting a business developer.
We are looking for a motivated colleague, of proven maturity in professional environments and a strong scientific background in life science research, to help drive the academia-to-industry transition for VIB innovations. Specifically, the tasks at hand are:
- Identifying and understanding scientific research data in discussions with the VIB principal investigators and identifying business opportunities based on such research.
- Building business cases and marketing materials with the aim to partner with industry (R&D collaborations and/or licensing)
- Marketing and identifying industrial research partners and /or licensees based on our patent portfolio and research expertise
- Negotiating and drafting of research, license and related agreements
- Monitoring the correct implementation of concluded agreements & contract follow-up
- Close team-interaction with colleagues in IP management and/or Business Development and/or New Ventures to ensure an optimal valorisation route for each asset
- Developing and maintaining a network of international corporate contacts
- Liaise with the VIB PIs on tech transfer matters
- Dedicated to proactively translating basic science into industrial collaborations and licensing
- Ph.D. in life sciences and experience in life sciences research projects
- Experience in technology transfer, translational projects, business development or contract negotiations is preferable
- Experience in industry-setting, either biotech company or large corporate environment is a plus; alternatively advanced scientific experience (e.g. post-doctoral mandate) are preferred
- Background in plant biotech research is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Strong analytical skills
- Team player
- A professional and stimulating working environment
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.