Call for Applications to One Research Fellowship Project PTDC/BEX-BID/5340/2014
Call for Applications to one Research Fellowship
One position for a Research Fellowship is open under the Project PTDC/BEX-BID/5340/2014 entitled “Integrating multiple environmental conditions with developmental programs to alter body size and developmental timing” financed by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, through national funds (PIDDAC) in the following conditions:
1. Duration and Regime: 6 month fellowship, eventually renewable until the end of the project, predicted to start on December 2017, with exclusive dedication, as regulated by the Fellowship Holder Statute currently in place, human resources of FCT currently in place and the Fellowship Regulations of Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência.
2. Subject of Activities: Determine how different environmental factors interact to regulate the synthesis of the steroid moulting hormone ecdysone in the fruit fly Drosophila. The fellow will use basic genetics to characterize how the activity of two hormone signaling cascades, the insulin and prothoracicotropic hormone (PTTH) signaling pathways, changes with temperature and nutritional conditions to regulate ecdysone synthesis.
3. Scientific Orientation: Christen Mirth – Development, Evolution and the Environment Lab.
4. Academic degree: Candidates should have an undergraduate degree in Biology or related areas. We require candidates with experience in collecting staged Drosophila larvae, larval dissections, immunocytochemistry, and Drosophila genetic techniques.
5. Month stipend: According to the regulations of the FCT Research Fellowships in Portugal (€745/month) (http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
6. Application Documents: Letter of Motivation, Curriculum Vitae, and contact of one previous supervisor, should be sent in a single PDF file, by e-mail, with subject "Research Fellowship” to Christen Mirth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. Selection Procedure: CV (40%), motivation letter (40%) and recommendations (20%).
8. Selection Juri: President: Christen Mirth. Members: Patrícia Beldade, Élio Sucena. Alternate members: Luís Teixeira and Takashi Koyama.
9. Announcement of the Results: The results of this call will be sent to all candidates by email and to the FCT.
10. Application Period: From 20/11/2017 to 04/12/2017.