The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) in Ghent, Belgium, is a leading institute in plant sciences. PSB has invested significantly in the development and operation of automated, high-throughput plant phenotyping systems to support plant research within the institute and in collaboration with external partners (plant_phenotyping). The Systems Biology of Yield group of Prof. Dirk Inzé is currently looking for a highly motivated data scientist to assist in the analysis of plant phenotyping data and the development of data analysis and management pipelines. Importantly, the position requires an interest in both plant growth, development and physiology, and in data analysis beyond the use of MsS Excel spreadsheets.
- phenotyping data analysis, including running of image analysis scripts, data quality checks, and analysis and interpretation of results
- contribute to the development of data analysis methods
- preparation of data analysis scripts for their incorporation in automated analysis pipelines in the phenotyping platforms-associated web interface and database in collaboration with the ICT-developer
- take an interest in plant phenotyping and in the management of plant phenotyping platforms and experiments
- contribute to the insurance of 'good phenotyping practices' at all times
- a Master degree in Bioscience engineering, Biology or a related field, with a clear interest and skills in data analysis
- demonstrated skills in the use of R; part of the selection procedure will involve a practical test in R script running and development
- experience in image analysis, and in the development (programming) of image analysis methods, is an asset
- experience in plant phenotyping is considered advantageous
- good analytical thinking, a critical mind set, scientific rigour
- problem-solving, positive and hands-on-mentality
- motivated and committed, ability to perform under pressure
- proficiency in spoken and written English
- excellent research infrastructure in an international scientific environment with great opportunities for further development of professional skills
- full time employment for 1 year, with the potential to be extended based upon evaluation
- the earliest start date for the selected candidate is 3rd April 2017 (or upon agreement)
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply online. Applications by email will not be considered. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been identified.
- please attach a full motivation letter
- your CV should include diplomas & certificates
- please make sure to include the full contact details of at least two relevant references