HiLIFE is seeking a
Director of the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland FIMM
FIMM is an international research institute at the forefront of molecular medicine research and with the mission to advance new fundamental understanding of the molecular, cellular and etiological basis of human diseases. FIMM promotes translational research and the adoption of personalised medicine in health care and integrates research with cutting-edge technology platforms. Internationally, FIMM is a partner of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine, with three other Nordic research centers and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL). FIMM is a member of the international EU-LIFE network comprising thirteen elite biomedical research institutes from Europe. FIMM has an internationally diverse staff of 230 and locally it collaborates with Helsinki University Hospital and National Institute for Health and Welfare THL.
Translational, team-oriented research in scientific grand challenges is focused on the impact of genome information from the Finnish population in personalized health and medicine, individualized cancer medicine, and digital diagnostics for precision medicine. The areas of interest of the 18 research groups in cancer, cardiovascular disease, immune disorders, and neurological and psychiatric diseases provide an opportunity to align FIMM research on large and complex issues and draw researchers, technology experts and clinical collaborators together to achieve common goals through collaboration.
Expectations and conditions
Qualified candidates will be visionary scientific leaders of international stature and with a strong track record of innovative research in the area of molecular medicine, and with merits in building interdisciplinary academic research in a highly collaborative environment.
The FIMM Director will
- Be responsible for development of FIMM, including producing and implementing a vision for future scientific growth as well as the recruitment of a new generation of outstanding and highly interactive researchers
- Lead her/his own research group
- Foster new collaborations including ones at the University of Helsinki and HiLIFE
The anticipated start date is January 2018 or earlier. The position is initially for five years with a possibility of renewal, and associated with funding for the group and a startup package when appropriate. The salary is negotiable within the salary system of Finnish universities.
Qualifications and experience
The successful candidate will
- Hold an appropriate doctoral degree
- Have an outstanding record of scientific discoveries and success in obtaining funding
- Present a clear vision of future directions in molecular medicine research
- Demonstrate successful leadership of international and diverse teams
- Show a commitment to fostering excellence in scientific research and research training
Inquiries and applications
Applications are welcome until August 14, 2017, and the nomination may be made at any point when a suitable candidate is identified. For further information or proposals for nominations please contact HiLIFE Director Tomi Mäkelä by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone +358 2941 25500.
Applications are submitted by email to email@example.com as a single pdf file with
- your vision for the development of FIMM
- your research plan (max 5 pages)
- your CV (max 4 pages including biosketch)
- a list of not more than 10 selected publications with motivation for selecting each
- a link or reference (e.g. ORCID) to a complete list of publications