Expert in Computational Structural Biology
The Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research (FMI) seeks an enthusiastic
EXPERT IN COMPUTATIONAL STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY
with a strong background in state-of-the-art approaches to structure solving, including low resolution X-ray structures, model building and refinement. The FMI is a world-leading research institute located in Basel, Switzerland, focusing on fundamental biological questions of medical relevance. Research groups at FMI use both X-ray crystallography and single-particle cryogenic electron microscopy (cryo-EM) for determining the structures of macromolecular complexes.
The holder of this scientific support position in a technical platform will help users at all stages of structure determination of large macromolecular complexes with data obtained by X-ray crystallography, and will also help interpret map and refine models from single-particle cryo-EM. Responsibilities include obtaining and inter- preting maps, model building, refinement and deposition of structures. Additionally, the candidate will participate in the teaching and training of PhDs and postdocs.
Overall responsibilities and compensation will depend on qualification and performance.
- A PhD degree and/or postdoctoral training in structural biology or a related field
- Strong track record in computational structural biology and experience in using software packages for structure modelling and refinement
- Experience in structure determination and refinement of challenging low resolution and other difficult structures by X-ray crystallography
- Ability to interpret and refine maps and models obtained by cryo-EM
- Knowledge of computational structure prediction, designing of constructs for protein engineering, molecular docking, or an ability to run molecular dynamics simulations are advantages.
- Excellent communication skills, a team-spirited and service-oriented attitude, as well as skills in multi-project management are crucial.
The position is initially for 3 years and will be subject to review for permanent employment after 2 years.
Please submit your applications including cover letter, CV and three references through the FMI website (www.fmi.ch/opening) by January 10, 2019. Only online submissions through the FMI website will be considered.
For inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.