Groupleader and Junior Group leader positions in Structural, Molecular and Cellular Biology
The VIB-VUB Center for Structural Biology is part of the VIB life sciences institute and is embedded within the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) . We are a centre of excellence in structural biology that is recognized worldwide for its scientific work, for the technologies it develops, and for the spin-offs it creates.
We study the structure and dynamics of macromolecular complexes in health and disease to explain their mode of action. We integrate our structural biology work with genetic and cellular studies, aiming to bridge molecular and cellular resolution. We excel in translating our discoveries into biotechnological and medical applications. Thematically, the center focusses on protein signalling cascades and bacterial host-pathogen interactions.
Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
We wish to strengthen our team with the following positions:
- (Jr) Groupleader in cryo-electron tomography to strengthen our Bio Electron Cryogenic Microscopy center
- (Jr) Groupleader in computational biology, chemical biology or network dynamics to build a team converging on synthetic biology or protein signalling cascades
- (Jr) (Groupleader in Biomolecular NMR
- (Jr) Groupleader / in cellular biology / microbiology to perform independent research on bacterial host-pathogen interactions
Besides specific knowledge and expertise in the above-mentioned research fields, we are looking for enthusiastic candidates who correspond with the following profile:
- Published impactful research, demonstrating creativity and scientific quality
- Several years of experience as a postdoctoral researcher or as a faculty member
Key personal characteristics:
- A collaborative and interdisciplinary mindset
- Interactive team player
- Open to acquire leadership and coaching skills
- Challenging positions in a supportive and international research environment with committed peers
- An employment package that is internationally attractive, including a pension scheme and health care program
- Start-up budget for a research group ranging from 3-5 positions (groupleaders) to 1-2 positions (junior groupleaders)
- Stable working conditions with a guaranteed term of 5 years for junior group leaders and open ended contracts for group leaders (subject to 5-yearly peer review)
- Access to the VIB and center specific core facilities: X -ray crystallography, Cryo-EM, Bio-NMR, (deep)sequencing, transcriptomics, proteomics, antibody and protein production, bio-imaging, compound screening, bio-informatics training facility
- Assistance with relocation, including visa application, housing, schooling, job opportunities for partner
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.