Interdisciplinary Postdoc Position in microfluidics and biological cryo-electron microscopy
VIB is an interuniversity institute where cutting edge research on fundamental biological problems is combined with unique opportunities in technology transfer. VIB provides intellectually rich environment and state of the art laboratories for scientists from around the globe.
Cryo-EM laboratory, embedded into VIB Center for Structural Biology, uses high-resolution cryo-EM, the 2017 Nobel Prize winning methodology, to study structure and mechanism of biological molecular machines.
We are seeking for a highly motivated independent postdoctoral researcher to work on an ERC-funded project. The project focuses on development of new microfluidics-based method for cryo-EM sample preparation with an ultimate goal of determining atomic three-dimensional structures of the proteins from single living cells.
We have expertise in protein biochemistry, biophysics and structural biology. The department is equipped with the state of the art bio-laboratories, on-site cryo-EM facility with top high-resolution microscope is being constructed and will become operational in the first half of 2018. Instrumentation for fabrication of microfluidics chips by photolithography is available in the laboratory.
VIB Center for Structural Biology is situated on campus of Free University of Brussels. Brussels, a dynamic, cosmopolitan and affordable for living Belgian capital in the heart of Europe.
- The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, have PhD and hands-on experience with design, fabrication and utilization of microfluidic chips.
- Good communication skills and ability to work independently and in a small team are required.
- Previous experience with proteins, protein purification, structural biology, electron microscopy, chromatographic methods of molecular separation will be of an advantage.
- Three-year fixed term postdoctoral position.
- Highly interactive multinational environment of VIB.
- Competitive salary.
- Additional benefits include reimbursement of travel costs to work by public transport and free of charge VIB hospitalization insurance on top of Belgian National Health care.
How to apply?
- Motivated candidates should apply online.
- Please submit: CV, letter of motivation and contact details of two referees.
- For further enquiries please contact Rouslan Efremov.