Postdoctoral Position in functional and structural analyses of intramembrane proteases
About the Lab
The Laboratory for Proteolytic Mechanisms in Neurodegeneration, headed by Prof. Lucia Chavez Gutierrez is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to investigate functional and structural analyses of intramembrane protease.
The main aim of the project is the development of novel approaches to target and modulate intramembrane proteases. Specifically, we aim at the generation of molecular chaperones that target and modulate the activity of gamma secretase intramembrane proteases.
You will be working on the development of ad-hoc methods for the determination of the mechanisms of action of intramembrane proteases, including the generation and use of conformational nanobodies.
You will perform protein expression and purification for biochemical assays, structure-function and structural characterization.
You will serve as mentor to undergraduate and graduate students in the laboratory
- Applicants should have obtained a PhD in the last 2 years within the field of protein biochemistry, bio-engineering, molecular biology or equivalent
- Highly motivated and creative
- Good communication skills in English
- Prior expertise in protein sciences
- Ability to work independently while embedded in a team.
- Interested to work at the interface of fundamental and translational research
Desirable but not required:
Prior expertise in:
- design and optimization of enzymatic assays,
- nanobody technology,
- structural biology and/or
- drug discovery
Competitive salary and benefits
Access to state-of-the art infrastructure and tools
A highly interactive, stimulating and international environment of VIB.
Financial support is available for 2 years. However, the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain a personal fellowship (Marie-Curie, EMBO, or National funding organizations).
How to apply:
Please use the VIB HR Application tool
Additional required information:
- Please enclose a cover letter presenting your interests in the project
- Please mention the contact details of two references in the application form.
For more information, please contact Lucia Chavez or follow the links below: