Research Technician to Support the New Laboratory of Sleep and Synaptic Plasticity
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven, which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities. At our Center, researchers study the basic mechanisms of the central nervous system and related diseases.
The Laboratory of Sleep and Synaptic Plasticity (PI: Sha Liu) at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is seeking an energetic and highly-motivated Research Technician to join our group. Our lab employs multi-disciplinary approaches, including Drosophila genetics, behavior analysis, electrophysiology, functional imaging, and neural circuit mapping and manipulation, to study the basic mechanisms underlying sleep and its function in the brain.
The research technician will help us establish the lab and will support the team in daily research. The successful candidate is expected to perform molecular cloning, Drosophila stock maintenance, fruitfly genetics, behavior screening and immunohistochemistry. He/She will also be responsible for aspects of lab organization such as lab maintenance, orderings, and overseeing biosafety requirements.
- A Bachelor or Master degree in a relevant scientific or engineering field is required.
- Hands-on experience in at least one of the following areas is desirable:
- Molecular cloning
- Drosophila genetics
- Animal behavior research
- MATLAB programming
- Te successful candidate must be meticulous, detail-oriented and self-motivated, and able to interact well with other members of the research team.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- A stimulating international research environment
- Open-ended contract, competitive salary and benefits.
- Starting Date: the position is immediately available.