Scientist at Post-doctoral level in the Field of "Biologicals for Agriculture"
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) in Ghent, Belgium, is a world-leading institute in plant sciences. In the frame of a collaborative project with the industrial partner Aphea.Bio, a young start-up company that focuses on the exploitation of natural, beneficial interactions that occur between microorganisms and plants, PSB is seeking for a highly motivated post-doctoral scientist to help us carry out the research and development of novel and superior agricultural biological products.
- Optimizing automated phenotypic screening, including the development of image analysis, of shoot and root growth of wheat in relation to the application of microorganisms.
- Physiological and molecular analysis of beneficial plant microbe interactions.
- Manage communication with the company and the funding Institution in an efficient manner to meet project deliverables and reporting deadlines.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques in plant microbe research.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively with regard to development of microbial products.
- Experience in plant molecular biology and physiology.
- Enthusiastic about the development of an image analysis pipeline for the extraction of biologically relevant information, by application of algorithms developed in computer vision and implemented in image analysis libraries, including intensive testing.
- Proficiency in java, python or C++ and/or willingness to learn another programming language for the development of an image analysis pipeline
- Experience or interest in soil-microbiome research.
- Experience or interest in image analysis.
- Ph.D. in Plant Microbe Interactions/ Plant Molecular Biology/ Plant Phenotyping (or equal through relevant experience) or related degree.
- A stimulating international research environment.
- A contract for three years
- Competitive salary and benefits