Software Developer ELIXIR Belgium
ELIXIR is a European research infrastructure which unites life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by research. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources from the different member states and enables users to access services that are vital for their research. Belgium recently joined ELIXIR as a full member. The Belgian ELIXIR node is coordinated by the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology.
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics and bio-computing to unravel the biology of plants and to further explore the potential of plants to build a sustainable world.
The bioinformatics research groups at PSB develop novel software and web tools for the integration of large-scale data sets in the area of genomics, transcriptomics and phenomics for which an extensive computational infrastructure is available on site.
In order to further enhance the features, usability and integration in the ELIXIR network of in-house developed software platforms identified as ELIXIR Belgium node services, we are looking for a Software Developer.
- Further development of the PLAZA platform for comparative and evolutionary plant genomics (http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/plaza), with a focus on enhancing the user-experience and preparing data for a new release. API development for further interaction with ELIXIR data frameworks is the second main goal for the PLAZA platform.
- Further development of the ORCAE platform for gene and genome annotation (http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/orcae), with a focus on portability as well as back-end and front-end development.
- Writing and maintaining documentation for the development done on the two platforms.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master or PhD in computer science or bioinformatics, or equivalent.
- Excellent working programming experience in at least 2 out of these 3 languages: Perl, Python, and PHP. Competency with CakePHP is a plus. Programming experience in other languages (Java, R, etc.) is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of databases and SQL.
- Experience with Linux/Unix environments and BASH scripting.
- Knowledgeable of W3C standards and best practices in web development.
- Experience with automated deployment tools (Puppet, Ansible, etc.) is a plus.
- Version control experience, GIT knowledge is a plus.
- Fluent in English, with good communication skills.
- Able to work both independently as well as in a team.
- Start date: as soon as possible.
- Location: VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology, Technologiepark 927, Gent, Belgium.
- Duration: 2 years.
- International environment in an academic context.
- A challenging and stimulating work environment, at the edge of IT technologies and the latest innovations.
How to apply?
Interested candidates should apply online. Applications will be considered until the position is claimed.
- please upload a cover letter as well
- please add at least 2 contact persons for letters of reference (with name, email, address, phone number)
For more information, contact Kim De Ruyck