Team Leader HPC Systems (f/m)
- Job Code:
- Department / Research Group:
- BIH IT
- 1 Team Leader HPC Systems (f/m)
The Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) is a joint venture of the Charite University Medicine and the Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) for interdisciplinary translational system medicine.
The scientific computation is looking for a highly-motivated, detail-oriented individual to join us. As team leader HPC systems you will be responsible for the BIH high-performance compute cluster, connected servers, and networking. In this position, you will drive the course of change and improvement while retaining stability of our systems and support bioinformatics research and data analysis teams. The position is embedded in MDC IT department.
Working in the BIH gives you the opportunity to support world-class scientific facilities in their interesting projects with the aim of translational biomedical research and bringing research results closer to the patient for diagnostics or treatment.
Job duties include:
- Administration, monitoring, tuning and extension of the Linux-based HPC cluster, and connected systems, such as job queue (Grid Engine), storage (GPFS/DDN)
- Lead a small, but growing team of system administrators
- Perform root-cause analysis and fixing of errors and performance problems
- Monitor, adjust, and tune the queuing system; realize seamless data flow from sequencing and mass spec devices with scripting, monitoring, and automation; cooperate with the core unit bioinformatics on omics data management
- Work with MDC IT on topics such as networking, and data backup&archiving; contribute to the IT security and perform corresponding technical implementations
- Organize and deliver user support; create and update documentation; educate users in HPC usage
- Contribute to the evaluation of new technologies and HPC resource planning
- Define future hardware and software purchases in cooperation with the HPC steering committee
- MS degree in Computer Science or similar demonstrable skills required; 3+ years experience in HPC system administration required; project or team leader experience is a strong plus
- In-depth understanding of scientific computing and large scale data management needed; a relevant PhD and/or experience in biomedical environment are a plus
- Excellent demonstrable system and HPC administration skills required: ZFS, NFS, GPFS, GridEngine, Kerberos, ActiveDirectory/LDAP, monitoring, automation, and testing systems
- Experience with Puppet/Ansible/Salt/Chef, Docker/Rocket, iRODS, SLURM/TORQUE, CentOS, OpenLDAP, Ganglia/CheckMK, PostgreSQL, virtualization technologies, OpenStack and good programming skills are a strong plus
- Proven ability to create well-structured configuration and deployment systems, and to write technical and user-targeted documentation required
- Team-oriented with excellent communication skills in English; good knowledge of German is a plus
- Willingness to learn
- The position is re-numerated according to TVöD (Bund) scale (E14) and the salary for the position will be set according to skills and professional experience.
- Start Date:
Appointments are made for an initial period of 2 years with option for extension.
- Application period:
- Please send your applications by 2017-09-21
- Contact address:
- Information contact:
- Dr. Dieter Beule, firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 30 450 543 601
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and supports gender equality.
Please, send your application including all documents indicating the registration number preferably by e-mail as one PDF file to email@example.com as we do not return any papers.