VIBes in Biosciences 2020
International Symposium for PhD students in Life Sciences
The VIBes in Bioscience PhD conference is an initiative from the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB) that takes place in Belgium. The organizing committee consists of motivated VIB PhD students, who bring together young and ambitious scientists from all over the globe to enjoy a series of training workshops and a top-quality conference. Selected speakers are renowned in different Life Sciences research fields such as inflammation & immunology, plant biology, cancer biology, structural biology, neuroscience and microbiology.
The Symposium is preceded by half a day of workshops to improve your personal effectiveness, communication skills and awareness on possible career opportunities. We have invited internationally renowned trainers to share their experience and knowledge with you.
Note that you need to register separately for the workshops, after registering for the symposium. The number of seats for each workshop is limited, so make sure to choose your two favorite workshops in time.
Take a look at the VIBES 2020 workshops program for more info.
We offer 50 travel grants to international PhD students, which will reimburse travel costs up to 200 euros. Travel grant awardees will also receive a discount on their registration fee and accommodation will be covered for adjacent nights. Are you interested in attending VIBES2020 and want to have a chance on a travel grant? Submit your motivation below by clicking on the 'Apply for a grant' button before 15 November. The organizing committee will notify you of your travel grant acceptance before 1 December 2019. No registration is needed before submitting a travel grant proposal. When you’re awarded with a travel grant you will receive a practical email containing the next steps. Note that being awarded a travel grant does not equivalate with being registered.
Join us for VIBes 2020 and enjoy this historical city with other science lovers!
Format: A0 (841 x 1189 mm / 33.1 x 46.8 in), portrait orientation
- Travel Grant deadline: 15 November 2019
- Early Bird: 29 January 2020
- Late Registration: 24 February 2020
- Abstract deadline: 16 January 2020
Find out more here: VIBes2020 conference website
- Paul Nurse - The Francis Crick Institute, UK
- Madeline Lancaster - MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, UK
- David Livingston - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, US
- Linda Partridge - Max Planck Institute, DE & UCL, UK
- Antonio Lanzavecchia - IRB, CH
- Helene Steiner - Cell-Free Technology, Open Cell, UK
- Lennart Martens - VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology, BE
- Tessa Kerre - Ghent University Hospital, BE
- György Buzsáki - New York University, School of Medicine, US
- Suzana Herculano-Houzel - Vanderbilt University, US
- Jiri Friml - The Institute of Science and Technology, AT
- Rob Lavigne - KU Leuven, BE
- Tom Ellis - Imperial College London, UK
- Kat Arney - Founder and CEO of First Create The Media
- Sofie Goormachtig - VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology, BE