Junior System Administrator – VIB Nucleomics Core
VIB is an excellence-based non-profit life sciences research institute based in Flanders, Belgium. More than 1,300 high-qualified scientists conduct strategic basic research on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms.
Through a close partnership with four Flemish universities − UGent, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, and Vrije Universiteit Brussel − and a solid funding program, VIB unites the forces of 83 research groups in a single institute. The goal of the research is to extend the boundaries of our knowledge of life. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB translates research results into products for the benefit of consumers and patients and contributes to new economic activity. VIB develops and disseminates a wide range of scientifically substantiated information about all aspects of biotechnology.
In order to provide research groups with early and expert access to state-of-the-art technologies, VIB has incepted a number of institutional Core Facilities, of which VIB Nucleomics Core is one.
VIB Nucleomics Core, based in Leuven (Belgium), provides an assortment of fee-based services to address biological questions in the transcriptomics and genomics fields using high-end Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) infrastructure: Illumina, PacBio, and Oxford Nanopore sequencing are the main technologies that are being used to facilitate these types of experiments. Our user base consists of both VIB and non-VIB scientists throughout Europe. Bioinformatics services are an integral part of the Nucleomics Core service package.
To consolidate the excellent service panels and to adapt the facility to the quickly developing technological needs, we are looking for a new system administrator to strengthen our group. We offer an exciting work environment, excellent training courses, an open-ended contract, and competitive salary and benefits.
You are part of the operational team, making and keeping all IT resources ready for use by the core facility lab, in close collaboration with the KUL/UZ IT departments and VIB HQ.
- Maintenance of the IT infrastructure: updating & troubleshooting software packages, local data storage servers, cloud storage, data sharing, computing servers (Linux), network, and website.
- Improvement of the IT infrastructure: fulfilling network/computing/storage requirements for new lab equipment, developing software to monitor instrument performance, deploying new tools, supporting deployment of scientific software on VSC and cloud, and software package integration.
- Data management: ensure proper backup and carefully manage data life cycles of scientific big data.
- You possess a Professional Bachelor or Master level degree in applied informatics and/or information technology
- You are a skilled user of Linux servers, Windows and Mac OS X clients
- You have practical knowledge of network protocols and cloud technology
- You have also practical knowledge of a scripting/programming language like Python, R, PHP and SQL
- You are creative, and have a strong sense of autonomy and responsibility
- You are socially-minded and enthusiastic to be part of a dynamic team
- You have a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal communication skills with good knowledge of English (working language is English)
- Working knowledge of common Bioinformatics, FAIR principles, GDPR regulations and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) is a plus
- A challenging job in a stimulating international scientific environment
- You become part of a very dynamic, growing team in a highly innovative environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure in the field of NGS
- You will have freedom to shape your work and shape your job
- Your input is highly appreciated
- Open-ended contract
- Competitive salary and benefits – commensurate with experience
- Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Please send us a short letter describing previous experience and your motivations to apply for this job, a full curriculum vitae, and preferentially also the name(s) and contact information of reference(s).
Interested candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be welcome until the position is filled.
For more information: please contact Stefaan Derveaux.